Tuesday, December 28, 2004

Sad

D recieved a call from his aunt last night. She tried to call earlier yesterday. She is worried about us. Wondered if we were affected by the Tsunami. She also asked if I had any family affected. Told her no, thank you, but Dad a tad upset that Singapore is still there and not floating somewhere off African coast. We reassured her as best we could.."Uh...well, Australia is not really that close to the rest of Asia and Sydney is like way on the other side."

We then sat down and watched the news. Tears came to my eyes as I watched the report on the inconsolable Aussie dad who had his 6 month old daughter ripped from his arms. The weeping women as they sat beside the mass graves being dug for their husbands, children. I thought of the unimaginable horror as the showed us the boxes and boxes of body bags being loaded on the Virgin airlines carrier...boxes and boxes. The amateur footage showing us the people scrambling for safety, the look of desperate horror on their faces as they are being swept away. I admit that tears also come to my eyes even when I watch Petronas Raya adds (especially that one where the kids try and meet up with dad with new GRO wifey), but watching one the greatest disasters since the Krakatoa eruption (1883) unfold on TV...I am still very very sad. The human tragedy. May they rest in peace.

I may have mentioned that I recently forced D to give away about 500 t-shirts (I kid you not..we had to rent a car to transport them). He is a hoarder and he has shirts he wore in High School, he has old Xmas presents, and even shirts he did not realise he had, with price tags intact. We chucked them, well, I did while he spent hours explaining to me why he HAD to keep that 1000th white tshirt. We dropped them off at the local clothes deposit. I joked with him that we may even bump into some of his old/new Tshirts around the neighbourhood. We have been told that the clothes will be sent off as part of Australia's aid effort. I gave D a big hug for being a hoarder..but still plan on chucking out his ugly ass ties.

9 comments:

Dina Zaman said...

Hi Sofie

Small world - your mum is my mum's good friend, from KT and TKC! ha!

Could not find your email for some strange reason, hence this post.

happy New Year.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha...reminds me when I first got married. The very first thing wifey did when she moved in was to chuck out my collection of T-shirts from circa Form 1 (13 yeras old) which I still had in my wardrobe!

KaiserSoze

Anonymous said...

sof, epi,

tell your dads it's the damn causeway, that's what achoring that perasan dot in the south. ;D

Anonymous said...

that was me above. yam

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for the cycling clothes. those kids will like it. :)

and congratulations Mrs. Sof :))


roadie

Anonymous said...

the funniest thing is that ive heard the story before, from other girlfriends about boyfriends clothes. hahahahaha. i guess we should worry if its the other way around.

i am missing my tele.

azuradec

mangolisa said...

Azures,
yes it is one way of expressing *ownership* in cosmospeak lol - we find the perfect man then the first thing we do is to dress him ;-) oen episode of gilmore girls -- luke's (then) gf was upset bcos Lorelai was dressing him hehehehe she said it was her prerogative!

chocolalat! said...

Sofie

I heard about your engagement.congratulations to you and D. I hope both of you will have a blessed and peaceful 2005.

Wondering Nomad said...

Dina: Small world eh.Are you TKCian too? Do you get dragged along to TKC functions or am I the only sad git who does?? Your Mum must know my whole family (official and unofficial aunts included).

Epi: Tu lah. And the lessdeserving ones get hit...
And can you imagine they are planning to build anothercauseway Yam!! Why?
Roadie: Glad you recieved them. Always happy to help.
Azuradec: A picture? Hmmm, must try and find tie.I think D hid it..
Valisa: I love GG. But they talk too fast sometimes. I remember that episode. Luke looked cute post makeover
Thanks Fakey for very knid wishes. I just know everyone will have an extremely great year. I feel it in my bones!!