Thursday, December 09, 2004

Vancouver, Canada




Vancouver is nothing like I expected it to be. First of all it is much smaller. But then again, a few days ago we were in Beijing where there are 8 (count em), 8 ring roads and the road in front of Tiananmen Square is 12 lanes. Vancouver is also very pretty. How can it not be when you are able to catch a glimpse of the snow capped mountains from the Banana Republic shop. I suppose my expectations were pretty low prior to my arrival, and I am pleasantly suprised. I like being pleasantly surprised.

Vancouver is what I would call a hip city. I hate that term, but in this case it fits. A bit like Sydney in its eclectic nature, but much more laid back. I like it. Because it is hip, and because it has a Starbucks on every street corner. I kid you NOT!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice pix. have decided to boycott starbucks. they refused to let me use the toilet even though i offered to buy 1000 items. okay they closed the cash register but they should have let me used the loo...i was begging for 3 mins!

Wondering Nomad said...

How awful, says she who when she has to go, HAS TO GO. Remember begging the attendant at the ground level loo of Lot 10 to enter cause I had no cash on me whatsoever. She very nicely let me in, although I am sure my predicament (all decked out and gliterry for family wedding) was well above the 20 sen entrance fee.

chocolalat! said...

wow Sofie

you are defnitely the wondering nomad now, arent you?:P

Oooo , I love Vancouver, I love the huge trees that they have there. And PLUS, it is where they filmed Xfiles! :P

Wondering Nomad said...

Fakey, I had dinner with boyfriend's ex-supervisor who drove us past David Duchovny's old house. He told us he nearly bought the waterfront house but decided that his current house had a better view. He did not remember David's name or the name of "that alein tv series"..but could afford his house. How unfair can life be???

mangolisa said...

wow sof,
I didn't know canadian profs make THAT much money!!! Have you decided if you are moving there?

mangolisa said...

wow sof,
I didn't know canadian profs make THAT much money!!! Have you decided if you are moving there?

Wondering Nomad said...

Canadian profs who spend 2 months a year teaching and the rest consulting can. We have no idea where we want to live. Yesterday it was Hawaii, tomoorow will be Hong Kong. Sigh..