Thursday, June 09, 2005

It really is quite funny. I can update my blog through "blogger" but cannot view it as "blogspot.com" is unavailable.

I am multitasking here. Typing, trying to search for CNN on the hotel tele, and waiting for the water to boil as in desperate need of some hot tea. It has been a long day. With map in hand, I sought out sights I missed last December. I decided to walk it but did not count on poor orientation skills and locals pointing me in the opposite direction. After walking in circles, finally found a gaggle of aunts who provided me with pretty detailed directions, in Mandarin of course, but I found what I was looking for (sweet they were). Which was Beihan Park, a lovely little park behind the Forbidden Palace. Strolled around for a bit, enjoying the good weather, (dammit, 90 channels and still no CNN) people watching,before making my way toTien Amen Square. I stand under Mao's portrait, trying to visualise the chaos and carnage on that fateful day. It disturbs me so I head in the direction of Jiongua Lu, towards the silk market. On my quest to find a carpet.

After walking for 45 minutes I finally find the new site of Silk Street Market. The one D and I went to in December is no more and in place of the open market stalls, a brand spanking new mall. I am on a mission with no time to lose. I locate a carpet I like and steel myself for the game we are about to play. A price is quoted, I gasp in horror, and get ready to walk out. Another price is then given, I hesitate at the exit and without counter-offering, walk back showing slightly more interest in the carpet. After being shown a few more carpets, I name a ridiculously low figure. They gasp in shock horror but show me what I can afford. I hesitate. This goes on for another 2 and a half hours. After an 80% discount, I come out of the market with a divine silk carpet. Paying less than what I anticipated.

3 comments:

mangolisa said...

OHHHH you lucky lucky duck! I miss that lol the romance of haggling till you get what you want for less than you're willing to pay for... now where are the pix babes???

Anonymous said...

i feel like i was shopping with you reading this. :)

Wondering Nomad said...

Forgot to take pix of carpet. Did I tell you that while I was haggling for Dr Cs cap and t-shirts, he started inching away from me in embarrasment?? Hahahaha. Sweet.