Saturday, September 15, 2007

Fall is coming


The Mums are out in full bloom and everyone had their jackets on today as the northern winds moved in. Fall is on the way.

We walked to Doug's friend's house this morning for a lovely brunch. A lovely Saturday morning filling ourselves with Almond croissants, broccoli fritata, sausages and coffee/OJ. They has two little girls and Sasha enjoyed herself not sharing their toys. We walked back as it got slightly chilly and came across a sign for an indoor garage sale. I am sucker when it comes to a bargain so I had a peek, and spent the next 40 minutes choosing Sash's fall wardrobe at $2 a piece. For $50, she will be snug as a bug in her "gently used" snow suits, sweaters and turtle neck shirts from Baby Gap, Tommy Hilfiger, and Gymboree. I have noticed that the kids in this neighbourhood are well dressed, and there are some rather fancy boutiques for children down the street. Initially I thought that was a drawback, but now I see it as a bonus as these kids outgrow their clothes so quickly and therefore the garage sale loot is phenomenal. My neighbours also tell me that the schools around here organise "Mummy Sales" where you can buy gently used toys and clothes. The local community center organises clothes/toys exchanges. There are programmes with local retailers where you can bring in your child's sports equipment so quickly outgrown and get 50% of new ones. When clothes, ice skates and other sporting paraphernalia can cost parents hundreds every season, I find this such a brilliant idea. For the price of the cutest yellow rubber boots I bought Sash just yesterday, she will be all ready to get as dirty as she wants in day care this October. Maybe we will finger paint again...now all I need is a garage sale held by a short woman with some ass...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Milla needs new shoes every 2-3 months (the girl has big feet I tell ya!). Yesterday, I bought her new wellies €3.99 from Albert Hein. I cannot see the difference between them and the pricier ones just wore for 2 months...

Nx

rara_avis said...

haha love the last line.

Wondering Nomad said...

Nx, I had to buy her the wellies because Sash just loved, loved, loved the wellies Milla gave her. Outgrew them and so we have been looking for a replacement pair. Mind you this is her second as a pair I bought her last week was not up to par and she kept looking for Milla's pair..which we had ehm chucked as it was worn to bits by Sash. Sash has a thing for shoes...which she calls uuuuush.
Rara..thanks

Ms J said...

the short woman with some ass lives in colorado, haha
i am all for 'consignment store' goods..even for home accents. they use lovely decor to stage showhomes, and re-sell the goods at consignment stores..i am so there!