We received this email from D's aunt in Winnipeg on Sasha's birthday.
Hi! Hope all is well with you. I expect you're getting ready for your trip to Malaysia. It is this coming weekend that you leave, isn't it?
Will you have a little party for Sasha or do they do something at her day care? Hard to believe she's only two. She's so bright and active. Give her a hug and kiss for me.
I think I've spent the last month just waiting for spring. Still lots of snow left - there is about 2 to 3 feet covering the perennial bed in the garden. It's suppoed to get as high as 9C today, but back to -2C tonight and only a high of 0C tomorrow and staying cool to the weekend. Went to a garden centre yesterday with sister, Anne. Just had to see some growing plants and flowers.
I was at Derek and Kristi's for Gordon's birthday. They have a gorgeous home! Gordon didn't look well - He said his hip was giving him a lot of pain (arthritis) and he certainly looked as tho' he was suffering. Poor guy. I think he'll be glad to get to a nice hot climate.
Have a wonderful time in Malaysia.
Love, Aunt Hilda
I had meant to respond but with the birthday arrangements, packing and travelling, I assumed D had done so because he checks his email 1000 times a day on his crackberry. I figured I would get back to her this week with profuse apologies. She is a stupendous lady who totally adores Sash so I figured it she would understand.
We were informed last night, rather late last night, that she passed away on Thursday. Worse still, the neighbours only found her yesterday but it is thought that she may have pased on Thursday. She was sitting on her couch and they only realised something was amiss when her papers were not picked up off her porch. Her only daughter, who lives in Calgary, will be flying in to Winnipeg in the next few days to sort out funeral arrangements. Sash and I will be flying in to Winnipeg on Tuesday morning while D will fly in on Wednesday morning as he is away until Tuesday. We will stay for a week as I think D has come to the realisation that work should not be a priority and that the call could have been regarding another closer member of the family. FIL thinks we should not trouble ourselves by flying back just for the funeral but he doesn't really understand. I feel gutted that I did not respond to her last email with even a one-liner thank you. D recalls not even bothering because it was as he termed "time wasting non work related email" (hence the whole re-prioratisation). Aunt H is, or was, the closest thing I had to a mother in law and she was absolutely, absolutely lovely. And she adored Sasha, always remembering her birthday, even our wedding anniversary. Making sure she had toys to play with whenever we visited her house even for half an hour. She joined us for my birthday dinner last year, and bought me thoughtful presents even on her rather limited pension. Her passing is a surprise to everyone because she was rather dynamic, and while she was 74, her Mum lived to the ripe old age on 94. We are still grappling with accepting that she is no longer around. This has, suffice it to say, a rather bittersweet Mothers Day.
Sunday, May 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
my deepest condolence on her passing, sofie...she sounds like a wonderful woman andi hope she went queitly with no pain and no regrets.
I am sorry for your lost.
It is not easy to know what can happen and what will happen. But there you go, send your love and thoughts to her and I am sure, she knew how fond you are of her.
LOVE,
Nina x
Hi Sofia, yes it's me Jeyashree. Found your blog through Facebook. I am so very sorry for your loss.
Thanks MsJ, Nina and Jeya! Its easy to forget that the only inevitable things in life are death and taxes
oh dear. just read this. am very sorry to hear about your loss. she sounds like an absolute darling.
Post a Comment