Friday, September 12, 2008
With my recently obtaining my permanent residency, I have been having thoughts about home, homeland and passport country. Anyone with a Malaysian passport will know how difficult it is to move around on a whim. Malaysia as a homeland is fabulous. Would never change that. Malaysia as a passport country can be tedious. Visas are required almost everywhere and the process can be a nightmare...except Turkey. Funnily enough, among the family I would have the easiest time entering Turkey as I can get my visa from the immigration counter, for free, while the rest of the Unit will have to pay a fee and obtain the visa from a seperate counter at the arrivals hall. Back to my point. I had initially planned to stay in KL while Doug goes off to Sydney for data collection purposes from Mid-Nov to mid-December. We were getting great rates from an airlines that goes through Abu Dhabi. Did the research. Airlines not great if we encounter a problem, but not so bad if flights go smoothly. Only hitch was the apparently "disgrace" of an airport in Abu Dhabi. K, our trusty travel agent reassured us that we would get a hotel for the 19 hour transit. So it was all systems go. Until we discovered that the transit hotel was fully booked. And although we could get another hotel, I would need a transit visa. And to get a transit visa, I would need to have an invitation letter issued by someone in Abu Dhabi. Funnily enough, I dont happen to have any friends in Abu Dhabi. I thought of just staying in the secured area while D took the kids to the hotel. He then reminded me how painful the 14 hour transit in Changi was, and that is consistently voted the best airport in the world. He was not about to leave me in an airport reviewed as "hellish" for 19 hours and take a baby and a toddler into an unknown city. As he says, if it is as disorganised as Delhi, "I would rather not go to Sydney". So we looked at other options since Abu Dhabi was definitely out of the question. Flights significantly more expensive on other airlines so we thought of looking at all of us going to Sydney. Lo and behold, it is much cheaper for us to fly directly to Sydney via San Francisco than to fly to KL. So now plans have changed. We are all going to Sydney and we will fly back to KL mid Dec for a break hopefully using airmiles. Now all I need is a US transit visa. At least I know loads of Americans. I am now seriously thinking of changing my passport country.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Halley: Hello... I live in Dubai. To my knowledge Malaysian does not need transit visa. I would think the same goes for Canadian. There is not even a requirement for you to obtain an invitation letter. You may wish to re-chek with your travel agent I will try to check for you here and leave a message on your blog.
Hi Halley. Thanks for helping out. I re-checked with my travel agent and she is positive that I will need a transit visa. Apparently she even checked with the consulate here. But if what you say is true, then maybe I should do my own checking. Thanks!!!
Hey Sis,
Mom mentioned smethhing abt a family holiday in Phuket when ur here? let me knw wat ur plans r so i can start planning....so ur cmg here in Nov or u've decided for Syd oredi....fill me in ya...love to Sash, jedi & Doug
Yota xoxoxox
Been meaning to call home but hav ebeen swamped. Yup, we are heading out to Sydney. Our return flight from Sydney to TO is on 31 December but I think Sash, Dylan and I will be heading back to KL probably around 13th..then Doug will join us on 19th, then we head back to Sydney to take flight back to TO. We will try and confirm flights once we get to Sydney which is 17 Nov but those are the dates we are aiming for. PHUKET IS ON!! Have never been.
Don't think you need a transit visa. I;ve transitted at Dubai (not Abu Dhabi but same country). Check out Wisma Putra website: http://www.kln.gov.my/?m_id=55
Adek
ok...let me knw wat dates ur looking at to gng to Phuket? u knw la im the Matta Fair agent at No.59 :)
Hahahaha..I was just telling Doug I so dont envy you. I explained that you would do all the hard work getting quotes and making arrangements,then Mama will say something like "Yoya, the food isnt nice at this hotel.." and look at you accusingly. And unlike me, you are nice daughter who wouldnt say "Well, dont look at me cause its not like I cooked the food..."!
I say to be safe anytime between 18 Dec to 28th (so we can be flexible with our flights). Doug may have to be in Mumbai but he says he can always meet us in Phuket. How long are you guys going for?? Haiyo...now have to get in swimsuit shape...
18-28th doesnt leave us much time...but dad told me tht mom wants to do cukur jambul for dylan...how? got time or not?
well, dato' fu-z has never been to Phuket so she has no say abt the food issues...hahahahaha.
Bald young Jedi is. Nothing to cukur. Must do one for him mah? I thought only for firstborn or something? I think priority beach holiday for us (says she who will be at beach for one month) than if got time can have the relatives over...what say you?
i no problem....if i no need go back for raya i oso i like!! anyway, so mmmmmmm 20th like tht we go ok? how many days u want to stay there for?
Jedi looks like u sebiji...n sash such a brave lil girl to take on the dentist like tht...im so looking forward to seeing jedi especially cacak
:)
I leave the number of days to you guys. Am just tagging along for the ride/swim. Initially Doug and I were thinking of Bali but Mama said "Ish, that is so done. Mama nak pergi Phuket." So that is how it became family holiday mah...hahahaha.
Post a Comment