This was my second time in Milan. I first experienced Milan in 2005, although it feels like it was eons ago. I was then newly married, but travelling alone as D was in Shanghai for a few months. In 2005 I arrived a day earlier than the conference to get my bearings, and to get to know Milan. I headed straight for the Duomo and just sat on the steps just gazing in awe at the then being renovated Gothic beauty. I think I sat there for ages before realising that the Galleria was just across the Piazza. For the rest of the week, as soon as I could escape from the sessions, I would take a short stroll to the Piazza, have a latte and just savour the feeling of being in the shadow of the duomo. It was at one of the after session beer get togethers that I discovered that the Last Supper was in Milan. For some reason I had thought it was in the Vatican. One of the presenters was taking the day off, or skiving, to take in a tour which he had booked a few months in advance. Apparently, the release of the Da Vincci Code had made it almost impossible to view the Last Supper without planning a year in advance. I could have found a way to view the Last Supper then, but my Fuddy F was driving down from Zurich to join me for the Milan sales (saldi) and well, my priorities were different then. Fuddy, 2 other friends and I spent a whole day maxing out our credit cards at Prada, Gucci, Armani, eating gelato, drinking lattes, gorging ourselves at the antipasto buffet, and drove back to Zurich at midnight. We arrived at the Swiss/Italian border with a car full of sale goodies only to be met by the nicest and I should add best looking customs officers ever. We claimed out VAT, arrived in Zurich a few hours later, and I flew back to KL for my sister's wedding a couple of days after that.
It was very much different this time around. We arrived a day earlier as we usually do for conferences, but instead of rushing out as soon as we dump the bags, we had to first get Dylan and Sasha settled in. We were running out of formula fast so we had to scout the area for an open pharmacy before heading to the Duomo. For some reason, I tend to always find the one pharmacist that does not speak English so as usual I am using sign language to get my message across and taking a huge leap of faith that what I am sold is in fact suitable for my newborn. While I still found the sight of the Duomo breathtaking, I was more interested in Sasha's reaction to it. In the past, D and I would have found a cafe and shared a bottle of wine. Instead, we found a cafe, fed Sash her pasta and headed back to the hotel. The next day, while D was at the conference, I tried to do some shopping. Rather futile in view of two jet lagged kids. Our aim on this trip was to see the Last Supper. So as soon as we confirmed our flights to Milan I booked a tour of the dining hall of the the Santa Maria Della Grazie to view the Last Supper.
Santa Maria della Grazie
Sasha waiting for the tour guide to show up
D took time off his conference to take the tour and we agreed that it was indeed the highlight of the trip. The security measures taken at the church were amazing. We spent more time going through one air locked/vacuum sealed chamber into another than actually viewing the Last Supper. We were given 15 minutes in the dining room while the guide explained to the group why this Da Vicci mural is so valuable and culturally relevant. It was well worth the effort.

4 comments:
sasha and dylan are v lucky kids indeed to be able to see what most only dream of seeing in their lifetime!
Milly misses Sash.
Nxxx
p.s If 'we' can get over the credit crisis, next year, we should definitely do a combo family Italian hols... How about Como or Amalfi?
Hi MsJ. True they are lucky...to have me as a Mum..hahaha.
Nxxx, if we do Como you can bet your bottom dollar that I will spend it stalking Mr. Clooney. Now Amalfi...we should plan for last weeks of June or early weeks of June as we will be in Milan again mid June.
Sash misses Milly too. She likes to look at Millys pics on your blog.
Post a Comment