Monday, June 20, 2005

At last, I can actually access my site. Now no excuses for spelling errors.

The last few days with Dr C have been quite fun. I think the Scot in him likes my feeble attempts at haggling. We had our first month anniversary dinner at M on the Bund...Dr C included. The weather was fabulous, smog levels low so you could actually see the buildings across the river, even the masses on the Bund, the food delicious and the conversation was flowing as easily as the wine. On Saturday, my last day, we took a cruise down the river. I bought the wrong tickets so we ended up on the peasant boat...no air-conditioning. But the crew were kind enough to drag out a few plastic chairs so we sat up on the bow. Turned out great actually, and 3 times cheaper. We went to the antique market again as Dr C wanted to get a couple of 5 feet cranes for his garden. He likes his garden ornaments. We ended the day with a rather overpriced chinese dinner at the Peace hotel and drinks at the Jazz bar. I gave Dr C a huge hug as I would not be seeing him until end July.

Arrive in NL yesterday evening. As we were landing, although the air was clean and refreshing, and the weather glorious, I felt quite sad and wished I was back in smoggy Shanghai. The seperations are getting harder and I felt awful knowing that Dr C would be touring Beijing on his own. We did not know how to keep him entertained, what with D working such long hours, so we arranged a private 4 day guided tour of Beijing. How would he find the guide at the airport?? What if he didn't? Did he remember to take the list of phone numbers I had jotted down? Would the guide understand his need to rest? Maybe I should have insisted that D lend him his mobile..

And so, I land, and what do I find?..hundreds of passengers stranded as there was a power failure and the trains were not running. I considered getting a hotel room, but decided to trust the Dutch. The trains were on track within an hour (they are very good at this sort of thing the Dutch) and I was off. On the train, I began thinking about how ridiculous this commute is. I made a decision. I would let go of my room and just do what I have been doing for the past 18 months, do my thesis while on the road.

I got home last night and told my landlady and she was surprisingly very supportive (as if it mattered). So supportive that we spent the whole day today getting boxes, me packing, and transporting 9 boxes to the post office to be mailed to Canada (her support mattered..heh). Funny how your whole world can be reduced to 9 boxes approximately 15 kilos each. I am really a nomad now...

A nomad who is freaking out. I have to give 4 presentations on Monday, I have not prepared the slides, I cannot get accomodation in Dublin (bloody Coldplay and U2 just have to have concerts in Dublin next week) and so decided to sign up for a tour...but the tour ends on the 24th while my conference accomodation is only provided from 26 June onwards...the pubs there had better be good as I may need to cheer myself up a bit...

2 comments:

Wondering Nomad said...

Thanks. Mighty strange having empty room....hope am doing the right thing. Flying in to KL on 6th July. From Zurich so no idea of arrival time. Hope you will be there..

Anonymous said...

goodluck. looking forward to seeing you again. giving up the room in NL sounds like a reasonable thing to do all things considered.