I have been so busy that I have been unable to even think of updating this blog. This wondering nomad is going to be on the move in a few hours so what do I do...spend the few precious minutes I have in my soon to be vacated office alleviating guilt.
I have had to pack up all my lovely books and files into nice big boxes so the movers will be able to transport them to the building across the road into my brand spanking new personal office on 22 June. Why am I packing so soon you ask?? Well, in addition to packing my lovely books and files during the day, at night I have been packing my lovely clothes and shoes (much more appreciated after lost but later found luggage episode last week) into dinky suitcase as leaving for Shanghai this afternoon. So just as I am about to be absent from my office for months on end, the administration decide to give me my own room. I have no idea where this room is, and when I get back here in August I just know that I will be faced with nightmare of trying to locate my room, boxes and computer, but at this moment in time I am just so very happy to have my own personal space. Albeit unable to enjoy it...
I love travelling, I really do, but sometimes I think travelling can only be fully appreciated if you have a homebase to return to, a sanctuary to look forward to when you tire of the travels. After leaving NL this afternoon, I will only be back here for a couple of days end June before hitting the road again for various conferences until end August. Just enough time to do laundry I hope. I have been thinking of giving up my room here, but where would I store my personal rubbish? In KL with my parents? In Canada with D's dad? No, I think in my heart I want to be a traveller, but not really a nomad. I know I need to at least feel some sort of connection with homebase, and for the moment my homebase is a little room where I store clothes and shoes that do not travel with me, and various bits and bobs that I am sure I will chuck when I do finally move to a home.. somewhere...else...where ever that may be.
On my last trip to KL, on the national airlines, I felst a bit sad when the stewardess announced "And to all our Malaysian passengers, welcome home" . If only...
On a less melancholic note, I have printed out detailed Shanghai walking tour suggestions which I downloaded from the net, and various restaurant suggestions. I was there in February for only a few days hence just stuck to the lonely planet suggestions. This time I intend to see the real Shanghai...well, as much as I can with a very conspicuous ang mo trailing me...
Thursday, June 02, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey WM i havent caught up with you for ages and so much has happened -will send you an email - am v happy for you and its lovely to read your blog for the updates! Shanghai - a new and exotic world indeed...looking forward to your posts on it. Have a great time exploring
Post a Comment