Thursday, December 13, 2007

Comments please


What do you think of this painting? It is a 43" x 48" oil on canvas. Seriously, comments would be appreciated. Please note, I did not paint this (so if you totally detest it, go ahead)..but I am interested in getting it. However, as many who know me will attest, my art appreciation skills are underwhelming. I love this painting though. I really do. I plan on hanging it opposite my bed so I can pretend that it is a window, and I can enjoy the play of light daily. I used to wake up to another beautiful painting when I used to live with my parents, cant describe it really,but it was dark and rather abstract. I loved that too. I used to wonder why I liked it so much, but I guess I was in a pretty dark place then.

I just hope D likes it as much as I do. He has not seen it other than on the gallery website. He left the gallery before we got to see this particular painting for an appointment, leaving me alone to find this treasure. He will be back from Cambers on Sunday, and if I want that painting I should get it soon. If you think we have difficulty choosing furniture, you should be a fly on the wall when we look for art (well, actually this is the first time we are buying a real, serious, painting together, as we also consider posters from museums art if framed properly). He likes things big, and vibrant, whereas I prefer the more understated classic that creates an impact. He thinks a painting is only a painting if it is a landscape, and the more realistic the better. Oh, and it has to be Fall scenery, or winter. I hate winter landscapes as most of the canvas is white..whats up with that? And I dont like paintings that are too red, or yellow. So imagine us in a gallery as one goes ooooh, and the other ugh. When one asks if they had the same painting, but bigger, while the other asks to see more blues please. He wants to see strong brush strokes, I like Dutch style strokes (dont ask me to elaborate, remember my underwhelming knowledge of art). I think this will be a good compromise because well, I like it..so he should be nice and compromise. It is after all my time of year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok my knowledge of art is literally non-existent but here's my two pence worth of opinion (since you asked).

It gets my vote. It is an "in-between-ie" - a classical modern. Quite technical in its delivery (fine lines, play with light and contour), reminds me of Dali, yet it is also a bit van Heyden (yes, tell Doug, he is Dutch) and Alma Tadema (ish). The subject is soothing, landscapes which is neutral to the four seasons.

I would love to wake up to it every morning although I also don't mind to wake up to palm trees and Matisse's cut-outs:-)

GO FOR IT baby! It is your month indeed (wish I got that kind of burpday present:-))

Love. Nx

Wondering Nomad said...

Thanks! I must write about the pitfalls of having a birthday on boxing day..

Anonymous said...

i like it.

rara_avis said...

i like it too! gets my vote.

Paradin said...

Good choice - I too quite like the painting. I'll probably drop the "quite" when I see the real thing.

Talking about your birthday ... remember the time when we found the whole of Turin deserted and had to make that "long and dangerous" (in Mama's words) drive through the mountains to the Movenpick in Loussanne - in the dark...? Now how many can boast of such adventure on her birthday?

Lucky you - so stop complaining.

Wondering Nomad said...

Hahahaha...I remember that. I especially remember Lui complaining about my being able to spend my birthday in 3 countries and as he said "The furthest I've been is Cameron Highlands"..hahaha. The painting has been hung and we are liking it too.