
After reading this article in today's Globe and Mail, I finally decided to bite the bullet and buy a bunch of Bisphenol-A free, non Polycarbonate BornFree bottles from my favourite kiddy shop round the corner. It may all be media hype, but when there is even a slight mention of cancer risk, ADHD risk and other neural, reproductive and developmental problems, it is difficult to ignore. Also, being in academics, we know that whatever research is published in the popular media is probably rather dated and the tip of the Titanic iceberg. Both Doug and I have a family history of cancer, and while it is rather wrenching to buy new, and I must add rather pricey, bottles and sippy cups (whats up with that?? I thought less chemical were used. so shouldn't they be cheaper??), it is a small price to pay for peace of mind. I suppose it does not help that I have a (real) doctor brother in law with toddlers of his own and a father in law in pediatrics who have specifically warned us against warming up our plastic bottles in the microwave. They told us ages ago to warm her milk in glass containers then transfer the milk to her bottle. Since their warning, we have been doing this up til today, which I must admit is a bit of a bitch at 5.30 in the morning. Luckily the warning came pretty soon after Sasha switched to whole milk, which was when we started warming up her milk in her bottles in the microwave. Before that, we used water at room tempreture to mix her formula. Todays warning about bottles exposed to boiling water was I suppose the straw that broke the cheap camel's back. When I say wrenching, you have no idea to what extent. In my morbid fear of having to deal with colic, I used a variety of bottles from Avent, Dr Brown and Playtex inserts, in the hope that at least one of them will help prevent the dreaded sleep thief. I must add that in addition to variety, I bought in bulk as I hate doing dishes as much as the next person. Sasha of course did not get colic and I have a cupboard full of bottles (well, used to..I now have to learn to deal with only 4).

And did I mention all the sippy cups, both normal drip free and insulated ones with characters on them? So I also bought a non-leaching stainless steel sippy cup for Sash (in gender neutral green, so the bambino will be able to use it later). I now have to decide whether I should call a local Goodwill to ask whether they will accept these items as I hate to see them go to waste. Having said that, knowing that I dont find these bottles and cups safe enough for my own child, how can I in good conscience pass them on to another child? I discussed this with the proprietor of the kiddy shop and she mentioned that she donated them to Goodwill as many parents in TO cant even afford basic baby equipment such as bottles, what more the more expensive less toxic ones. I am still undecided about this and will have to discuss this with D, although I know he will not want to pass on unsafe items to any child. On the bright side, I can stick the bottle in the microwave tomorrow morning!

No comments:
Post a Comment