We have been in Quebec for the past few days. We started our second leg of our Spring work/holiday with a train ride from Toronto to Montreal on Wednesday evening. It was my first Canadian train ride, similarly for Sasha. I must add that I am duly impressed. We dragged our luggage, Sasha's backpack and stroller onto the Eglinton subway station and connected with Via Rail at Union. We had booked the tickets online and we were able to get our tickets for both our outgoing and return journey from the ticket office in Union. The ticketing agent advised us to be at the gate 5 minutes before boarding and to request early boarding. We did as we were told but did not have to get hold of anyone to seek early boarding as the ticket master found us and directed us onto the train personally. There was another single mother with her 6 month old baby also boarding early and we chatted about how civilised the process was, in comparison to the early boarding for flights that inevitable turn into a mad rush by airmile card holders and parents with 15 year old kids. We arrived in Montreal close to midnight and headed straight for the Delta hotel, where we were being put up by the meeting organisers, only to be told that they had overbooked and they were going to help us get a room in another hotel. Now, in situations like this I find that you have a choice of either going apeshit, which is totally understandable considering the time and the toddler you have with you, or you can just go with the flow and ask what can be done. We chose the second option and they found us a room at the Ritz-Carlton Montreal, and paid for our room and taxi ride to get there. Alls well that ends well I guess. I do wonder though where the Ritz puts people up when they overbook. The next day we returned to the Delta where they also provided complimentary breakfast and room upgrade for our stay. I am liking this Montreal hospitality. After the meeting, which involved some Ministers and others from the research center, D informed me that Sash and I were invited to the dinner being held at a rather posh resto near the meeting venue. The food was gorgeous, and our daughter behaved beautifully. We were worried at first but hey, they invited us and presumably they would be prepared for a 2 year old and potential behaviour issues. I must say that Sasha does surprise us sometimes.
The next day, we rented a car and drove to Quebec City where D's co-authors live. They had invited us to stay at theirs for the weekend. Initially I was very reluctant because I think I know my mailman ...Rob, or Bob..something with an ob...better than I know JM and C. Also, they do not have kids and I am always weary of putting people out..especially when the kid they will host in their home is still jet lagged. But they were really keen to have us over and D needed to discuss some work with them. Also, I have never been to QC so I figured what the heck. And am I glad that we did come. They have been ever so hospitable and welcoming. They were initially worried that their home is not child friendly and offered to go out and buy some baby gates. You see, they live just outside of QC in a 3 story chalet set in the woods at the bottom of a ski hill, facing a gorgeous lake. It is such an idyllic setting that I cant even begin to describe how beautiful it is. I reassured them that Sasha is well aware of her limitations and that we will watch out for her. And boy does Sasha love the house. The house has a wrap around deck on the third floor where JM and C hang a multitude of bird feeders that inevitable attract all sorts of wild life. Sash has been sitting on the deck all day pointing out the yellow and red birds, the woodpeckers, the squirrels and the rabbit. JM and C are originally from Northern France so we have been having French style meals, such as steamed lobster, steaks and salads served ever so simply with bread, but with a rustic style that is just so sincere. We visited Old QC yesterday and I honestly feel like I should be using Euros instead of the Canadian dollar. I have heard that Montreal is very European, but I find QC to be even more so. I now totally understand the separatist movement as I keep having to remind myself that I am in Canada. Toronto seems a continent away.
After a weekend of visiting hitorical sites, hiking, and eating, we head back home tomorrow morning. We are taking the train as the 8 hour drive would have been just too tiring. Although it will take longer by train, D and I are both in agreement that we don't really enjoy road trips by car and we much prefer to spend the equivalent hours seated in a train with WiFI access. I cant wait to get home to my own bed. On Tuesday, we start getting Sasha back into her old routine..wish us luck.

3 comments:
Oh sof, it sounds so divine - your whole trip to Quebec City and Montreal.
I must say, the French still hold the gold medal for savoir vivant...
You guys are lucky people. Then again the other day someone mentioned something about the world mirroring oneself and it is makes sense that you have all these goodness around you!
Nxxx
p.s You will never be cured of your travelling bug - on trains, planes or automobiles:-)
I lurve Montreal... ah and wish I was traveling too! Goodluck with the routine.
good luck :)
Eleen.
Post a Comment