Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Randomness

If I could, I would Americano-me intravenously all day. Am that knackered. Last night, after putting Sash to bed at 9pm, D and I fell asleep in her bed. Usually I tend to do this (sometimes even before she does) but last night D didnt have that much work to do so he read Sash a couple of Princess themed books (her new passion). I discovered then that he has renamed all the Prince Charmings Prince Doug. I laughed so hard I nearly fell of the bed. No bloody wonder she has been calling the princes Doug. I figured it was a adoring daughter trait, not one imposed by Daddy. So around 11pm I woke up and instead of crawling over to my own bed as I tend to do, I decided to see what D was up to in the basement. I found him eating a bowl of Fruit Loops while checking email and watching CSI: NY. I joined him with a glass of wine and we stayed up chatting until 2am. Just as we were about to doze off Dylan woke up for what we thought was his usual feed. Unfortunately he didnt want his milk. He just wanted to cuddle and doze off with his mobile on. He did this on the hour every hour until 6am. He finally took a bottle at 6 and slept until 9am. The thing is for the past few days I have been trying to get him off his 3am feeding by giving him water instead of milk, as per the pediatrician's suggestion. By taking out the 3am feeding, we can then proceed to take out his midnight feeding and that will enable him to sleep from 8pm to about 6am. He had been doing well until last night. Although technically he did go without milk last night. So, which is the lesser of 2 evils? Midnight and 3am feedings, or waking up every hour but no feedings. Hmmm....must call the pediatrician. Will give it a few days though..so far Dylan has been doing well with routine (soooo unlike Sasha)...will keep on trying with the water. Some neighbours suggest that we Ferberize him but luckily for me my ped is in total agreement that the Cry-it-out method is not an option. I know that it has worked wonders for many others but I am more inclined to agree with the Australian and Harvard research re co-relation with nervousness and stress disorders. I am seriously relieved to hear that my pediatrician concurs as I thinsk I would have just caved in and tried it out but for his insistence that we dont even think about it. I dont think I could listen to him scream all night, even if it does only take a few nights.

Yesterday evening I decided to channel my inner-Martha and make homemade babyfood. Baked a couple of sweet potatoes, took out the blender, bunged a couple of bananas and a punnet of blueberries to make banana/blueberry mash for breakfast, and sweet potato mash for lunch and dinner. Froze the mixtures in 3 ice-cube trays and voila, a weeks worth of microwavable meals for the boy. It took more time to wash the ice cube trays than to whip up the food. I wondered why I never made such cubes for Sash and then I realised that when she was a baby we were living in suburban NY and we went grocery shopping once every couple of weeks so we didnt bother much with fresh produce as it would just go bad. Here I can just pop round the corner to get organic produce. Also organic baby food is so easily accessible that it would be silly to not take advantage of its availability. Funny how while I am much more relaxed with raising Dylan with it being the second time around, I am able to be more fussy with certain aspects like his food. Do I feel bad that he is eating organic while Sash ate god knows what? Yes I do. But then she hardly ate anyway so I dont feel that bad.

This morning while I was feeding Dylan Sash came up to us and asked me if Dylan vomited. I told her no, its just that he is such a messy eater that it just looks like he vomited all over himself, the high chair and me.

Finally...what do you do if your son insists on taking a poo during each meal. Do you interrupt his meal to change his diaper or just continue feeding him as he grunts away?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh.... i cant answer that question... I have forgotten (mumnesia) how Milly was as a baby that age... I knew she used to poop while sucking on my boobs...

funny how sash and milly always go through the same phase. milly is also going through princess phase but I haven't yet bought any princess books...she simply thinks all girls with long blond hair, blue eyes and long pink dresses are princesses... I had to convince her some princess have dark, short hair and brown hair too...

Kisses. Nx
p.s Good on ya with the baby organic food, I never got there...

rara_avis said...

Thats a difficult one. I tend to change quickly and only then continue but there have been instances where D wont eat anything post poo change.

Huzzah for the cook your own organic vege cubes!

Wondering Nomad said...

Nx, we have this Disney book (and I swore never to fall for Disney Princesses scam)that gives background details of all princesses, including Snow White (dark hair) Mulan (Chinese, kind of violent) and Pocohantas (aboriginal)..even Ariel (who has a tail). I can pass you a copy in Italy...hopefully by then they are not into Hannah Montana.

Rara, Dylan will eat...the grunting and that look on his face disturbs me though..hahahaha.

Anonymous said...

call me jakun kampung, but who on earth is hannah montana. i can google but would rather have you give me the low down and dirt on this lady! :-)

Nx