Saturday, March 06, 2010

Preparations

I have been busy preparing for my next class on Tuesday. I find that I am starting to get into the groove of shooting the breeze (listening to case studies) for the first hour and just going over past seminar presentations over the next 2 hours. Unlike me, these students actually get upset if their breaks are too long and they actually do want you to teach up to the very last minute. Because the technology is so very different than when I was a student (man, was it that long ago), it takes about 10 minutes for me to switch on computer, stick in USB, switch on control panel (to control use of DVD, 3D projector (unlike the prehistoric overheads, you don't need the plastic sheets but you can even project 3 dimensional items), and sound system)and switch on dual screens (so I can project 2 different slide shows if I want)..yes, I actually had to attend an orientation programme to learn all this. They have this in EVERY classroom..no wonder North American Uni's need multi-billion dollar endowments. I have to send the students the slides at least 24 hours before the class as they all just have their laptops during class..although I am sure they are Facebooking. I would have been.

We were stuck at home this afternoon waiting for someone to pick up a baby carrier that I put up for sale on Craigslist. Bought the Pikkolo soft carrier for Dylan for $200 a while back and he has outgrown it...put it up for sale for $100 and got an offer for $80. It has gone off to a good home. Now wondering whether I should blow some of it on a sushi takeout dinner..

No comments: