Did I mention that the main, main, main reason I am back is to eat, eat, eat. A girl can only take so much milk, steak and potatoes. In Sydney imagined coming home to good ole home cooking. I must admit such visions helped me stop the tears from flowing at the airport. Dreams shattered as I arrived home and was informed by KF, my mum's maid who has been with us for over 15 years, that she would be going back to Thailand for Raya hols. And she would only be back a day before I left. I was absolutely horrified!! What?? I have to eat out every day?!! I do that everywhere else...but not HOME!!! Lets not talk about the dirty laundry....
But I am a survivor! It helps that we have been visiting every hotel in KL to check out the ballrooms and negotiate terms. I told my Mum at lunch at the Mandarin yesterday that I feel like a foreigner on a real holiday in KL, what with the many buffets I have tried and tested (regardless of the fact that we will not be having raw oysters and sashimi for the wedding...heh). When I go on holiday I eat outside the hotel because we all know that hotel food is unauthentic. My mum is pleased that I am happy with maid-less arrangement. My sis is not happy because every time she calls from work post reccy lunch she finds out that as yet we are undecided and we may have to go to another hotel the next day. As it is we can only do one hotel a day as I wake up late, tennis is on and we have to be back home by 3.30pm because the Philippine soap is on then. We spend 10 minutes looking at ballroom and 2 hours eating lunch. As my sis screams over the phone that the wedding is less than 6 months away and how my mum's indecision is unproductive, I rattle on about how nice my chocolate desert is. I am glad that I am going home soon because I am sure my sis is heading for a nervous breakdown. Through no fault of mine of course.
Other than eating, I have been stocking up on clothes. Can't buy anything in NL because the clothes are too long (or I am not tall enough...heh). Buying cheap T-shirts at the Factory Outlet Store. It goes without saying that if one goes shopping in KL, one is easily reminded how KL salespersons, born in the land of smiles, have the worst people skills in the world. At FOS, I asked if they had the GAP tank tops with built in support in a smaller size as they all seemed to be in XXL. The salesboy said NO, you are too late because the smaller sized ones have all been sold. So there I am looking at a huge pile of spaghetti strapped tank tops in XXL (in Euro size mind you) and asked rather nicely if there is such a huge demand for such tank tops by really fat people in KL (not that there is anything wrong with being fat). And this boy just walked off. Can you imagine? It is to me a valid question because you would think that the salesboy and I could have a discussion about the viability of buying tent like tank tops for a market primarily made up of XXXS Euro sizes in the form of anorexic ah mois (sweet chinese chicks), and S-M Euro size for the more berisi (nice malay term for fleshy, or obviously not anorexic) Malay girls. But he walked off. This is why we are not yet a developed country.
I am running out of clean clothes, and we have no idea how to use the washing machine. I think I will have to look for a laundrette. I miss D. He usually does my laundry.
Wednesday, January 26, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
sof, i truly comiserate with your laundry problem.
but have you read abt angie jolie breaking up the pitt-anistin marriage? i'm not much into hollywood goings-on but i read it on the cover of USWeekly this this girl next to me on the train today was reading and i'm dying to repeat it to someone. my teuton is no good as he'd just go "huh?".
oh, i must not forget to congratulate you on getting the parents' blessings with the delish smells of cendol, gp et all wafting. that was adroit, my dear.
hahahahaha! when will you be back in NL? IS KF there yet?
Post a Comment