Thursday, September 06, 2007

Settled in at last...

It has been quite a while since I last updated this blog. Bad girl, bad girl. I have received kind requests, stern reprimands, and demands to update my blog. So here goes..

Lets see, since last May I have:

Moved from Troy
The move was rather bittersweet. I was excited about moving to a different country, to a larger city, to our new house, and to seek out endless opportunities. I was very very sad about leaving our neighbours. Before we left, they had organised a surprise farewell, which touched us rather deeply as it took quite a bit of effort. The days leading up to the move, packing and getting movers organised were hectic yet we found a haven of hospitality during the evenings at their house. We stayed there the night after all our goods were shipped of to Canada, the day before we were to sign the contracts to sell our first ever home together. We left Troy and drove to the border to "enter" Canada immediately after the closing. It was a tearful goodbye.

Set up base in Winnipeg
We had six weeks before we were to take possession of our new home in Toronto so we moved in with my father-in-law. We spent more time at the lake than we have ever before. Canadians are obsessed about their cottages, which are usually situated on a lake. Come Summer, everyone is "at the cottage". Those who do not have family or friends with cottages rent. Others dream of owning one. Something I never fully understood or appreciated until I saw how much Sasha loved the outdoors, very much taking to the lake country life. She went tubing (very much like water skiing but a huge inflatable tire is dragged behind a boat...being only 15 months she went tubing on her Daddy's lap, she swam, she climbed on rocks, she very much explored every nook and cranny of that island. I suspect I am going to be stuck in the wilds most Summers from now on.


Attended a conference in Warwick University
I was last at Warwick for my LLM graduation. That was more than 10 years ago. It was surreal going back this time with D by my side (Sasha was left at the lake...I tell you, wild horses could not have dragged her away), pointing out the various bars and halls of residences I used to hang out/get absolutely hammered in. The Union had inflated to ten times its original size. It had an amazing supermarket, some cool cafes and even a hairdressers. The trees had grown and new, shiny buildings erected. My old stomping grounds changed beyond recognition. Sad.

Back to the lake
Sasha seemed interested in her cousins water skiing. We will try and teach her to swim and water ski next year I think..



Move to Toronto
We flew in with 8 pieces of luggage, took a cab and dumped our luggage at our new home. The previous owners were still moving their things out. We walked to Yonge Street and bought sheets as we planned to sleep on the floor. We could have checked into a hotel but I was so sick and tired of living out of a suitcase and I just wanted to "be home". The movers had dropped the ball so they were only going to deliver our goods 5 days after our arrival. We bought an air mattress for our second night. Much more comfortable. Doug left for the US to attend a conference and I was left with Sasha to organise the unloading. Even with 3 men hauling goods and boxes, it took the whole day. Sash was rather well behaved considering she could not take a nap, there were no doors (taken out to enable furniture to be moved inside the house) and all she wanted to so was play outside. Looking back I don't even know how I did it by myself but I guess I was just so excited about getting on with the next chapter..unpacking and settling in..that I was probably high on adrenalin. Tip about unpacking: always unpack your master bedroom first, then do one room at a time.

So here we are in Toronto. We love the neighbourhood, we love the house, and we know we will be very happy here.

3 comments:

Ms J said...

and..finally! an update! i almost fell off my chair when i saw this!

phew! reading your adventure of the last few months made me feel exhausted! wishing you, D and little cutie many many happy years in new home!
and hope we will one day find our way to see you

Anonymous said...

Yay Sof. Lovely photos of cute little sash.

*I am glad you took my stern reprimand to blog very seriously* ha hahaaaaaa

anyways, love reading about the move. i can imagine how emotional it must have been to sell the first home you and D bought together...and saying goodbye to your wonderful neighbours...

but now, you are in groovy toronto with great neighbours (darling, must admire the karaoke machine :-))

happy new beginnings.

what can i say? sash is looking yummy enough to be eaten for breakfast :-)

we'll be over to visit in 2008!
n, c & m xxxxxx

rara_avis said...

sash does look super adorable!