Saturday, December 15, 2007

My birthday is coming up. When I was little I used to think that the whole Christmas hullaballooo was all about me. I was pretty narcissistic then...and maybe a tad now. Just a tad. Granted, back when I was a mere sapling Christmas wasn't celebrated on such a grand scale in Malaysia. There were no expensive set dinner menus in restaurants, no Christmas sales, and definitely no trees sold at Ikea. But there were still celebrations held at hotels and such. My Mum did not cook so we would eat at Holiday Inn (then a posh hotel) ALOT if the maid went AWOL, hence I remember a couple of kiddie Christmas parties there, or what I took to be the run up to my birthday. The funny thing is we never celebrated my birthday on my birthday. No one was ever around. I could also never have the whole attention getting birthday party in school because there was no school. So I don't really know how I got the idea that the whole festive shebang was for me, but I just did. The same sort of anti-climax applies today. The whole run up to Christmas/my birthday is the fun part, but once you hit the day itself it sort of becomes a lunch bag let down. Usually everyone, including myself, is all partied out by Christmas morning. So can you imagine how difficult it is to keep up the momentum one more day.

And those who celebrate birthdays close to or on extremely commercialized holidays will understand me when I say I never get as many presents as everyone assumes I do. No, I do not get the Christmas present and the birthday present the next day..I get an all in one. If I am lucky I get 2 presents rolled up in 1...usually it is 1 present for 2 occasions, so technically I only get half presents. This is done best by my darling husband who bless his heart is extremely generous, but cheap. He proposed on Christmas so that year I didn't even get a 2 in one..it was a 3 in one. This year we are getting the painting (delivery and hanging on Monday..yay), so instead of buying silly gifts for each other (which I like) we get something we can keep for a very long time (although I have tried to argue that handbags can last just as long). But I have just realized that he probably also means that the painting is also my birthday present, so technically he has 1 occasion invested in it while I have 2. He's done it again! But I shouldn't complain..we bought Sasha books for Christmas, we have read them to her many times, and we are going to wrap them again for her to open..hahahahaha...poor kid. But at least her birthday is in April.

2 comments:

Ms J said...

i think my kiddo will have the same 'issue' as you re birthday/xmas gifts!

sorry was not in to take your call - running around like a headless chicken organising his birthday party today. will call you monday?

Anonymous said...

Milla was supposed to be born on the 27.12 but came a wee bit early. 2 days after Sinterklaas is not good either as SK is bigger than Xmas here in Holland. Then there is Xmas. The poor bunny's birthday gets squashed in between.

But, Princess Amalia (the next on the throne of Holland after Willem Alexander) has her birthday on the same day as Milla's. So every year, the royal house and all government related ministries have the flag up on 7th of the 12th. So, I will tell Milla, while it is horrid to be squashed in between SK and Xmas, they have the flags up on her b-day.

Your hubby buys your meaningfull presents. Handbags are fashion statements, you get beautiful paintings and a ring with big rocks on them...They don't call Boxing day a boxing day for nothing:-)

Hugs.