Friday, June 13, 2008

Lunchbag letdown

I have the flu, for which I cannot take drugs. Doug is away, again. Sasha is in daycare today. I had a craving for popcorn, so I decided to treat myself to a movie. I was torn between the new Indiana Jones, or SATC. I figured that I had to watch Indy with D, as he would be absolutely gutted if we didnt catch it together. So SATC it was. I must confess that although we live 4 blocks from multiplex movie theatre, D and I have only been to it once. As I may have mentioned in an earlier post, we tend to have date days instead of date nights as it is much more convenient/economical. So a few times in the past year since Sash has been in daycare, we hit downtown or the neighbourhood for a lunch date, or a movie and lunch. The last time we caught a movie, Doug paid so I had no idea how expensive watching a movie can be. My ticket, popcorn and diet soda was approximately $24. How do teenagers go on dates nowadays? Does this mean that when Sash or Dylan want to catch a movie we have to fork out $50 a shot (taking into account inflation)? Also, while it took me 3 seconds to purchase my ticket, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out which Special combo I should get at the concession stand..is it cheaper to get the regular drink and popcorn alone, or the Indy combo with special drink cup and pack of M&Ms...or should I get the nachos at half price?? So anyway, back to my point. I found my popcorn to be more enjoyable than the movie. It wasn't bad, but it was a lunchbag letdown. It was to me more worthy of a double episode season cliffhanger than a movie. Yes, it tied up the loose ends, but I cannot believe that after building up the characters after all those seasons, the writers would allow them to "cop-out" so to speak. I would have liked to see Carrie make Big squirm big time. Where was the drama?? Also, as mentioned by many critics, there was way too much product placement. The characters, and especially Carrie, was never that brand obessessed in the series. I felt like it was Carrie does Hong Kong. Although I must add that I now have a craving for all things LV and Chanel.

After the movie, I decided to get D's Father's Day present in advance. Sash and Dylan are getting him a running shirt and shorts. After getting advice from the experts I think we have a couple of winners. 2 salespersons asked me if I ran too, to which I replied, "Sorry, I'm a starver, not a runner." Which is unfortunately so very true...

2 comments:

Ms J said...

ahaha..am all about popping the diet pills...anything's better than sweating it out on the pavements....people like me shd be ashame of living in Fit Colorado!

p/s i hear SATC is a bit of a letdown too...watching it next Friday with a bunch of mommies. do u think SATC will pass the censors in malaysia? or will we see 'LOVE' And The City on the billboards instead?

Wondering Nomad said...

Well, since there is no kissing, nude male scenes and sex...it will all about the shopping I guess. Suggest you get DVD version when you get back Stateside.