Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Canada Day

It was Canada Day, or the Canadian Independence Day yesterday. Many Canadians took the opportunity to have a long weekend by taking Monday off. They either went off to their cottages or they hit the city sights and beaches. As you can tell, with our rather flexible work schedule, yesterday was like any other day in that it was up to us to either work or do jack all at home. We thought of taking the subway to the waterfront and having lunch to celebrate Canada Day but realised that even if 0.1% of Torontonians had the same idea, it would be absolute madness there. We compromised by working in the morning, taking a nice long walk to the Alexander Muir Memorial Gardens in the early afternoon and joining the neighbours for a dip and chat after the kiddies had their afternoon naps. I may have mentioned that naps are religiously adhered to amongst the neighbours here.









We walked through Sherwood Park, across to the Blythwood Ravine and on to the gardens with Sasha insisting on petting every doggy that came along. Suffice it to say it took a fair bit longer than usual, but hey, we had the time to spare. The last time I visited he garden was last Fall, but D takes the same route for his runs. I had forgotten about the gem of a garden we have so close by. I suppose it is normal to take your surroundings for granted and it really hit home how lucky we are to live so close by the ravine system as we passed the jam packed car park, the filled to capacity splash pad and playground on our way to the garden. We hardly recognised any of the parents and kids (trust me, when you visit the park at least 15 times a week, you get to know who the regulars are) so we figured them to be "tourists" taking advantage of the awesome weather on Canada Day, while avoiding the madness at the Zoo, Science Center, Toronto Island and Beaches.

After Sasha's nap, we headed across the street to our neighbour's house for chips and dip (in their little pool). It is very much a luxury here to have a pool due to the short seasons and the lack of outdoor space. Luckily for us, we have great neighbours who are ever so generous with their invites...I suspect we will be visiting them alot this Summer in view of our not being able to get away this Summer.







I have just realised that I am 33 weeks pregnant today. Holy Guacamole..not far to go.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Milla still naps 2.5 hours every afternoon. We are also (I know...I know) quite religious about her napping. IN fact, this is the most religious, we can ever be about anything (!). I am so not looking forward to having to tell her to stop napping (at 3 years) because the health authority here advises parents to discourage afternoon naps after 3. Apparently, it helps them go to bed at 7.30/8pm every night when they are older. Milla loves sleeping, and besides the 'delaying with reading of 6 sometimes 10 books' every eveniing trick that most kids her age get crazy about, she still sleeps from 8pm to 8am... Which helps a working mum like me, a lot.

Hey, you look totally fab pregnant. I know a few mums who are pregnant with 2nd child complaining about being less 'tight' in their appearance.. You on the other hand, look totally radiant and divine.

*jealous*

HUGS, Nina
p.s Sorry, I am back to writing emails in your comment boxes!

Ms J said...

agree..you look fab at 33 weeks babe. Dylan's been good to ya!
wow, your neighbour has a great pool - lucky you!
naps are also a big thing here, its almost sacriligeous to request a parent to delay or disturn their kid's naps for a playdate and its almost impossible to coordinate anything. My kid on the other hand, refuse to nap so by afternoon, mommy gets real cranky because SHE needs her siesta.