I am taking a short break from work to run a few preparatory errands. So instead of reading through page proofs of our upcoming article in an A tier law and econ journal (and by A tier I mean we were so well chuffed that D and I went out for a celebratory brunch AND another celebratory late lunch when we received the news that our article had been accepted...the whole time repeating "I can't believe it!". Even as I am going through the page proofs I am still thinking that I can't believe it). The errands involved picking up a traditional Moses basket and cherry rocker base which I found for sale online, and getting the basket to our dry cleaners to clean. We have set up the nursery with the obligatory crib (the one Sasha never ever used except to puke in every time we placed her in it), the changing table (I am still telling myself that this potty training WILL WORK..or else I am going to start teaching her to change her own diapers), the rocker and ottoman, various posters we have lying around and 3 metal models of antique cars and a plane (handmade in Cuba and bought at a garage sale for $2 each a few weeks ago). However, as there is still the possibility that I may have to undergo an cesarean (I try to address potential risks as much as I can), and will thus be fairly immobile while the wound heals, I thought we should have the baby with us in our room for at least a few weeks. Sasha co-slept with us for 18 months, and we are definitely not going down that route again because getting her into her own bed was just painful with a capital P. We could have Dylan with us in our bed too, but we want to mitigate the whole jealousy issue from the get go so a bassinet is the only way to go. I thought of getting a new one, but I am not a fan of the ones with all the gizmos (hanging animals and music/vibrating mode)and the idea of spending more than $150 on a piece of equipment that will only be used for a couple of months just reeks, especially in view of the fact that after this all baby paraphernalia will be disposed off at rock bottom prices. So I found one for sale second hand, by a couple who lives Downtown, from a non-smoking, no-pets household. They were selling the set that I was aiming to get, which is the traditional Moses basket with blue linen (not too frilly as frills irritate me), padded bottom, and wooden detachable rocker base. Simple, yet perfect for our needs. I figure that it is also "cute" and non plastic-y enough to be used by Sash for her dolls later. The whole package with a blanket/swaddler thinggy for $50 cash. A good deal I say.
I have also gone through Sash's old clothes to see what can be used for Dylan, bought N sized diapers (they are soooo tiny it is hilarious..I forget how small they are initially), and sorted through Sash's library and placed the more baby friendly books in Dylan's room (so she gets used to seeing them there). I now have to look for the video monitor and figure out which of Sash's 3 mobiles to place in the crib and we should be set.
Friday, July 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
oh..congratulations on the publication! and wow, you are quite the bargain hunter..welldone you! i am taking notes as i read your baby preps. we are going to ressign the guest room double bed as a 'big boy bed' for JR so we only keep one crib and one changing table in the house. i reckon by next summer we're both hosting a big garage sale selling baby things at rock bottm prices, eh.
hows the weather in toronto?
i'll know baby's gender in mid august. my MIL LOVES sashakin's tippytoe video, she's started making a PINK denim jacket already!!!
She is MAKING a jacket? Cool. And pink...very Pink Ladies in Grease.
Tell me if you are having a girl...I have a bunch of stuff to pass over.
when I hear about these newbaby prep stories, I feel like I have no idea what you are talking about.
if i ever have to do it all over again, I wouldn't know where to start. so darling, you are definitely doing well with the preps.
I remember preparing Milla's room only about 3 weeks before she arrived. Her bed was put together by Chris 2 days before she was delivered.
*ps. because I am such a smart ass with all sorts genius opinion and unwarranted advice, I second the idea of moving the new baby into his own room after a few weeks....I think it is the best thing we did, to reclaim our privacy back after the sleepless night etc etc etc
Nxxx
We learned from Sash that we have to be prepared for an early arrival. We installed Sasha's car seat the day before I went into labour and bought her diapers on the way home from the hospital. we tdidnt realise that mittens were necessary so she wore socks on her hands for a week...
Post a Comment