Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I am falling in love with Sydney all over again. The weather, the food, the beaches and not to forget the friendly OZs. We arrived last Monday morning, took an hour to get through immigration and customs, and checked into our hotel at the Rocks. We decided to spend a couple of days at the Rocks and only then head out to our main base at Coogee. It is also closer to where D will be working for the month. We dumped our luggage and took Sasha and Dylan for a coffee (milk for them) at a cafe near the Opera House.










We were dazed from the ridiculously long flight, and the time difference was already getting to us, but we had to hit the ground running so to speak as it was quite exciting to be back where it all started. As you know, Doug and I lived in Sydney for about a year while he was working here. We got married here.



And when I say here, I mean in that yellow apartment building to the far left of Sasha in the pic above. We are now living in another apartment on the same beach, taking Sasha and Dylan to our old haunts (like Sands on Coogee, the restaurant where we had our wedding dinner) and enjoying the beach as we used to do every day. How blessed are we to be able to retrace our footsteps with our kids in tow...

The flight out..what can I say..it was extremely long. Luckily for us we left San Francisco about 11pm Eastern Time so the kids were ready for bed. Sasha slept approximately half of the way and Dylan most of the way. The rest of the time Sasha was quite happy playing with her new, special magnetic Princess dress up kit and her colouring books. It was all in all not as bed as we expected it to be. Fingers crossed for the return flight...

3 comments:

Ms J said...

i think more romantic than retracing your footsteps where you guys fell in love and marry is retracing those old stomping grounds with your kids in tow..babe, you are living the dream!!!
enjoy down under..i cannot imagine the airmiles oyur kids are already collecting!

Anonymous said...

I remember coming back to europe after a week in Sydney and shooting out CVs to agencies in Sydney, with the dream to live there. It is a fab place (great restos ....and the water....)

You guys are fortunate to have the life you have!
Nxxx

Wondering Nomad said...

Thanks MsJ. We plan to enjoy ourselves. Unfortunately, kiddies only get airmiles once they start paying nearly full fare..but yeah, we now have to keep track of Sasha's airmile accounts.

Nxxx, I am with you there. I love the restos here! their take on fusion is yummy.