I love my kids. I really do. Sometimes though, just sometimes, I resent my lack of freedom. I yearn for those carefree days when all I had to think about was me, myself and I. I had only just gotten used to the fact that I needed to inform someone, namely my husband, when I wanted to take a trip abroad...or even to the shops for that matter...., when wham bam I got pregnant. Just as I was comfortable with the logistics of leading my life with a dot, I found I was carrying Dylan. I may have mentioned this before, but having 2 kids doesn't double your workload, it increases it exponentially. And this trip back here to Sydney has again highlighted my new responsibilities. Like our trip to Milan. But in a different way. Before kids, during those days back when, I would wake up in the morning and take a walk along the Eastern Coastal Walk, or just read a book on the beach, or have a coffee at one of the many cafes here on the strip. Now, I have to tailor my days around them. Sure, I can take a book down to the beach. But that would mean I wouldn't be able to watch Sasha from afar as she tries to outrun the waves. Or build sandcastles with her. I enjoy these activities with her, but sometimes I just wish I could have some me time and read that damn book. I could drag the stroller with Sash and Dylan along to a cafe. But why bother as she would get antsy and bored within 3 seconds, or/and Dylan would start crying. I could go on the Eastern Coastal Walk with them, but the trail isn't exactly stroller friendly on some parts and it would be just painful to lug Dylan in the carrier for that distance. I am thinking of hiring a babysitter for a few hours so I grab a coffee, read a couple of pages on the beach and do part of the walk. I know I need to do it so I can regain some sense of my self.
The days here are flying by fast. We have fallen into a routine that is working out quite well. When D heads out to the CBD, I take Sasha either to the playground or the beach. Usually the beach first while the sun isn't too bad. Then the playground. Then home for lunch. Then the indoor heated pool while Dylan is napping (I just put him the car seat and he sits napping by the poolside). We used to do the playround after lunch, but I find the sun way too hot for them (me). She is usually tuckered out by then so we just chill and wait for Daddy to get home for dinner. Doing this day in day out has enabled me to notice a few things. First, the OZs have their sun protection down to an art. Their range of swimsuits, hats (especially hats) and sunscreen are unbeatable. I will definitely get Sasha's and Dylan's summer suits and hats here. Second, Coogee is becoming gentrified as there are more kids and strollers than before. Seriously...stroller traffic jams every day. Third, things are more expensive here. Even taking into account the exchange rate. Fruits, groceries, kids stuff, more expensive. But I suppose that's the price of living in paradise.

1 comment:
a babysitter is not such a bad idea. Even the world's best mummy needs some alone/quiet time.
xxxxxxN
p.s great photo
Post a Comment