I went in for my first consult with my Canadian family doctor this morning. In ON, you have to go through your family doctor for EVERYTHING. For example, before I can get on board with an ob/gyn, I have to have him refer me to my potential or intended ob/gyn. Although all I am actually looking for is a person to catch the baby when it pops out, I have spent the last week calling around for one that is taking in new patients (not alot are..and the ones who are I find suspicious) who will be delivering sometime in the near future. Each receptionist kept asking when I was due..and all I wanted to scream after the third day of calling around is...For Gods sake, thats what I'd like to know!! What made this hunt more difficult was that I was limited to doctors who have attendant rights at hospitals with NICUs (Neonatal intensive care umits), and there are only two in TO. You never know, and i am not taking any chances. I finally found one, but they required a referal asap, with ultrasound and bloodwork. In the US, this was done by my ob/gyn, so this whole system is rather alien to me...oh wait, I am the alien. So in I went this morning. Told me that I had to get blood work and ultrasound done the same morning as he wanted to send the referral tomorrow to ensure that I would meet the quota for the ob/gyn for the month I am supposed to deliver. It has to be said, that while there is no universal healthcare in the US, as insurance holding patients, we were treated like Gods. I feel like I am in a socialist country here, without the two tier health care system.
And so it began. One thing they never tell you about pregnancy is that doctors will be hounding you for blood and urine day and night. Vials and vials of the stuff. After the blood letting, I had to wait an hour and a half for my ultra sound appointment. And in that time I had to fill my bladder. It was touch and go during lunch as I may have filled it way too early..but I held on for the scan. I was rather looking forward to it as I am still in denial about the whole preggy situation and was still kind of hoping that the test we took at home was tainted. Turns out however that in addition to confirming that I am indeed preggy, ultraman declared that I am in my ..wait for it...12th week. I kid you not...here I am thinking I am perhaps 3 weeks pregnant at the most....and my first trimester is over...go figure. I am quite chuffed as I am supposed to present a paper in Amsterdam in mid September, and initially I thought I would have to cancel it seeing as how I may be in the delivery room, but if I really am due in early August then the presentation can still go on..yay.

I introduce you...the second cumming.
4 comments:
and a beautiful cumming she (he?) is too!!! a summer baby is lotasaf fun..imagine the bouncy thingies you can have in oyur backard for her (his?) birthday!!!
oh my god, oh my god! sof, you are really lucky to have gone through the 2st trimester without any drama. I know a few pregger drama queens (or should I say, ultra-primadonnas?) ...myself-included...
And Hurrah hurrah to seeing you in Amsterdam. I might even take a few days off so that you can leave sash and numero dos with me!
Remember, I am doing the 'mummy again'phase, vicariously through you!
second baby looks gorgeous already!
xxxxxxxxxN
wow. cannot believe that the 1st trimester passed you by.. hahahhahahah.
Huzzah to new bubba in the belly. August baby it shall be, shall be!
MsJ, you must ask your hubby about Canadians and lakeside cottages. He will understand when I say that Summer babies like SC will only ever spend birthdays on remote islands with not a bouncy castle in sight. Worse still, this year its either I forego summer at the lake or risk delivering on said remote island...
xxxxxxN, I know! You should have seen our faces when Ultraman told us I was 12 weeks along..I think we both actually said Huh? out loud. Will confirm about NL as things like birth certs and passports very difficult to get on such short notice here...but yes, I chope you!!
Rara..I cant believe it either. Imagine, in another few weeksI will know if I can use handmedowns.
Post a Comment