Monday, April 07, 2008

The loot





This morning, I had Sash go around to her friends' houses and thank them for celebrating her party with her. She passed along (rather reluctantly I must add) a little loot bag which is not exactly filled with a bunch of loot, but a stuffed animal I bought at Ikea (I so love this shop now especially since we discovered one less than 15 minutes away) along with athank you card attached. As there were only 4 children at the party, I decided to make the cards myself instead of buying the pre-printed pack of 12 and chucking out 8 (like I did the invitations). The bags themselves are also adult friendly and can be reused for occasions other than child related. I admit, along with being too lazy to figure out what to stuff in the loot bags, I find that when Sash receives one of these I will always have to go through it to take out age inappropriate toys and candy, while she looks on screaming MINE MINE. I did not want to put my neighbours through that...especially after sugar infusing their kids last Saturday. Sugar is such a no-no here. It is, I think, thought of along the same vein as crack cocaine. Parents joke about being sugar nazis, but in a serious way.



I admit that I myself tend to limit it to weekends and special occasions but it is difficult because D and I dont only have a sweet tooth, we have the whole freakin set. He has to have something sweet for dessert after dinner, while I melt at the sight of Choc Choc Chip. So to balance our guilt (both ways for giving in and not giving in), we limit her intake to chocolates only on weekends, and only when she asks really really nicely. We do not reward her good behaviour with chocolates, but with stickers instead. She is not allowed candy or candy bars, only good, preferably dark 70% or milk chocolates. She is allowed only one cookie, but she can have as many crackers as she wants. She should consider herself lucky though because one of her friends at her party was allowed, for the first time ever, a chocolate cupcake with icing removed. She is not allowed ANY sugar at all. I think D would die if he didnt have any sweets in the house...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

great idea! beautiful loots!

we live in NL - not giving your kid sugar is like not giving a malay kid rice...

Nx

Wondering Nomad said...

I would gladly feed Sash Leonidas every weekend. I tried the giving her the sprinkles on toast for breakfast..she licked of the sprinkles and chucked the toast.

Anonymous said...

oh send her for sprinkles on toast trainign chez van der veen. she'll come back knowing the differences between hagelslag and vlokken.

trust me. I am crap at all the other stuff but sprinkles on toast training - it is my forte!

love you sash.
Nx