Thursday, April 03, 2008


Sasha turned 2 at 4.12pm this afternoon. I can't believe it has been 2 years since I first met her. 2 years of her many many firsts..her first bottle, her first spoonful of solid food, her first step, her first plane/train/gondola ride, her first word (which was Dada, dagnabbit) and her first sentence. Every day we see slight changes in her. She is more willful, yet this shows she is beginning to make choices. She throws tantrums, but this signals that she wants to communicate and is frustrated when she cannot get her point across. She is more manipulative, but this is a sign of maturity. This week she loves purple. She insists on wearing her purple trousers, her purple shirt and purple shoes. I took her shopping for shoes and after trying on the many pairs that I preferred, she chose a pair that she liked, which I am not too keen on. But hey, I choose my battles. She is showing empathy. She is concerned when her friends take a tumble and will go up to them and ask "Are you OK?" She can now climb and slide down the "big kids" slide all by herself. She is still not keen on the swings though. She is learning to recognise the alphabets and numbers. She is, all 36 3/4 inches and 25.14 pounds of her, a perfectly healthy, happy and well adjusted young lady. And for that I am ever so grateful.

She is also going to have a little brother. On the anniversary of her birth, we found out that the baby is a boy, he has 1 in 23,000 chance of having downs syndrome and 1 in 29,300 chance of having spinal issues (this is good apparently although I am still trying to determine if this is based on Canadian, North American or Worldwide data) so I will not have to undergo an amniocentesis, and that it is 20 weeks. We asked the ultrasound technician if she is positive about the sex, and she showed us this...



So yes, it is definitely going to be a boy. I had to ask if the size is normal as it doesnt seem to scale to me...seriously...dont you think that it may be a tad large? I mean I realize that the camera adds 10 pounds but I have this fear that PD may turn into King Kong Dong or the like...touch wood. But my ob/gyn says that it is a normal size...I dunno, but I guess I have to take her word for it. D has of course downloaded the scan on his blackberry and is telling everyone how research finds that children inherit the Mum's intelligence...and well, boys inherit other..ehm..traits from their fathers.

Other than opening a few cards and some DVDs we bought for her (more so for the long plane ride than her birthday), we are saving the celebrations for tomorrow and Saturday as D is away at a conference. She will be celebrating her birthday with her daycare friends tommorrow and her neighbourhood friends on Saturday. She will definitely have more fun this birthday than her last...dont they grow up so fast?

8 comments:

Ms J said...

happy birthday sashakins..auntie J cant get her act togetter intime to sort of pressies so that may have to wait till you guys get back else, the parcel gets a 'return to sender'.

re King Kong dong..always good my friend...if the wee one i am carrying is a girl, i chop your little king kong dong for her

and on a serious note..congratulatios to you both for raising a healthy intelligent beautiful child

'Life of an Arian' said...

happy birthday cotek! N congratulations! suppose its Javier? hahahahaha. im sure Javier will not complain abt his 'genes when he's all grown up!!

Anonymous said...

happy belated bday to sash frm EC and me. We also celebrated EC turning 30 yesterday.

Anonymous said...

happy belated bday to sash frm EC and me. We also celebrated EC turning 30 yesterday.

Anonymous said...

Oh Sof, I am filled with 'JOY' when I read thsi post. You sound totally at peace, balanced and happy. Life is treating you kindly and Sasha is a very lucky girl to have spent 2 years of her (short) life in the most rewarding, free and adventurous way, with you and Doug.

As for King Kong Dong...well what can I say? It is suffice to say, he is already a poser - but hey, if you have it flaunt it right? I don't blame him (nor you or Doug for that fact) to announce the arrival of a new man of his size:-)

Wishing Sash a happy happy part day - Her box of present still is sitting on my table. I am just so dagnabbit disorganised and haven't tracked it to the post kantoor yet. (yeah, auntie Nina is crap!). But she was in my mind and I have a few things for her. By the looks of it, probably she will get it in a weeks...

LOve, Nina

Angel Eyes said...

Happy Birthday Sasha!

May you have all the best things in life with your beloved mummy, daddy and lil' bro.

xoxo
Aunty Angel

rara_avis said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SASH. Wishing you lots of joy love and happiness. Your prezzies are waiting for you here in Singers.

Sof - Congratulations on the boy. Wow thats definitely somefink somefink. Heh.

Wondering Nomad said...

Thanks on behalf of Sasha for the kind wishes!! She is truly a lucky girl for having somany people care about her. I could have of course written thanks as from her in cutesy way but that irritates me.

Arian, am so over Javier. It is now potentially Dylan..we are still looking into a J middle name (D's is John so we cant use that either), and no, not Johan as that is so overdone in this family. To be honest I was interested in naming him Seven, like in that Seinfeld episode...although depending on how much drugs I get at the delivery it may still happen.